What is the colon?
The colon is the last four to six feet of the digestive tract in your average adult. It is a hollow, tube like, organ made up of muscle structure that moves digested food along by a wavelike motion known as peristaltic action.
- The colon is the living area for a host of bacteria that produce vitamins, such as K and some B vitamins.
- The colon also absorbs water, nutrients, proteins and cell salts back into the blood stream.
- The equipment that is used is critical to the outcome and safety of the colon hydrotherapy session.
- These are the questions to ask: Is the device FDA approved? Some local colon hydrotherapy clinics use equipment that isn’t approved by the FDA for commercial use. It’s similar to an enema, the experience may be uncomfortable and UNSANITARY. The equipment should say in BOLD letters FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY right on the front. The are two types of systems; OPEN or CLOSED. You ALWAYS want a CLOSED system, this means all waste is confined and a colon hydrotherapist is performing the procedure. You aren’t doing the procedure on yourself. We don’t recommend OPEN systems. This means that toxic waste matter is exposed during the procedure, this matter has molecules small enough to cross the blood brain barrier and may be toxic to the brain. Many air-borne bacteria will be spread during this type of procedure.
- It has been very popular of late for open system clinics to advertise themselves on coupon sites. BEWARE. No reputable place would advertise this type of service on a coupon site. This is your first clue that none of the above criteria may be met.
- Please read on and educate yourself on an ancient, healthy and natural therapy.
Why should I be concerned about my colon?
The colon has been referred to as the sewer system of the body. It’s the place where we store the waste material that most of us would rather not think about. Most of us don’t until our health becomes poor, we feel constipated, or have diarrhea. The body may benefit from releasing congestion in the bowel.
How can I cleanse my colon?
A combination of diet, exercise, herbs and colon hydrotherapy are options that may safely cleanse and relieve bowel discomfort .
How can this help?
The colon is a reflex organ, meaning there are electrical connections to all other parts and systems of the body. When waste matter accumulates the body may respond by slowing down. This may cause constipation and sluggish bowel movements which may affect other systems of the body.
What signs show inefficient elimination?
Individuals who suffer from inefficient elimination may feel miserable. Some signs may be; coated tongue, fetid breath, shallow complexion, abnormal body odor, dark circles under the eyes, cold hands and feet, brittle nails and hair, sagging posture (pot belly), tension, fatigue, allergies, indigestion, chronic headaches, irritability, nervousness, nausea, depression, asthma, and backaches.
Will laxatives or enemas accomplish the same results?
To cleanse out the lower part of the colon, enemas can be useful. Laxatives are an irritant to the body and should only be used under the supervision of your licensed healthcare provider.
What makes a colonic so special?
In a 30-45 minute session approximately 13 gallons of water is used to gently soften and release matter in the colon. Through use of massage and pressure points the colon therapist is able to assist the this process.
What will colonics do to the colon?
Specifically, a colonic is used to accomplish the following:
- It May Cleanse the Colon: Matter is softened and released and may improve assimilation and elimination. Matter built up over a long period can be gently, released through a series of treatments. Once impacted material is released, your colon may return to more healthful patterns. In this sense colon hydrotherapy is a rejuvenation treatment.
- It May Exercises the Colon Muscles: The build up of matter weakens the colon and may impair it’s optimal functioning. The gentle filling and emptying of the colon may improve peristaltic (muscular contraction) activity by which the colon naturally moves material.
- It May Reshape the Colon: When problem conditions exist in the colon, it may alter it’s shape which in turn causes more problems. The gentle action of the water, coupled with the massage techniques of the colon therapist helps to eliminate bulging pockets of waste and narrowed, spastic constrictions. This may enable the colon to resume it’s natural state.
- It Stimulates Reflex Points: According to Eastern philosophies every system and organ of the body is connected to the colon by reflex points. Colon hydrotherapy may stimulate these points, possibly affecting the corresponding body parts in a beneficial way.
How many sessions are recommended?
If you have never had a colonic before, or if it has been a long time since you last had one, you will receive the most benefits by doing a series of 10 sessions. Depending on your individual situation and health goals, you may want more or less sessions. The ideal goal is to cleanse the whole length of the colon. This is never achieved in a single session. The condition of your health, colon, your diet and water intake etc… all influence the number of sessions you may want.
Can Colon Hydrotherapy improve the bacteria balance in my body?
Water introduced into the colon may cause bacteria to die off. Additionally, you may reintroduce healthy, helpful bacteria into the colon by means of supplementation available at the clinic.
Is Colon Hydrotherapy painful?
It rarely is. Occasionally, there is some mild discomfort the first few sessions. The colon therapist is skilled at putting you at ease and minimizing discomfort. Most people actually enjoy the colonic and are especially pleased with the unaccustomed sensation of feeling lighter, clean and clearer afterward. During the colonic colon muscles will contract and expel liquid, gas and waste into the rectum. This may feel like cramping or pressure and are usually brief and easily tolerated.
Is it embarrassing to have a colonic?
No, you will maintain your personal dignity. You will be in a private room with only your therapist, who appreciates the sensitivity of the colonic procedure and will help you feel at ease. After the gentle insertion of a small tube into the rectum, you are completely covered. Sterile single use rubber tubing carries clean water in and waste out of through the system.
What should I do before a session?
It may be more comfortable to refrain from eating or drinking for two hours before your scheduled appointment, for best results, consume a diet of vegetables and grains.
After a session, how might I expect to feel?
Most people remark on how clean & light they feel. “Like I just took a bath on the inside!”
Increased energy and feelings of well-being are the common responses. Occasionally people feel like they have had a workout and want to go home and rest.
How much time is required for a Colon Hydrotherapy session?
The first session may take longer than the follow up sessions because you will need to sign a consent and a alternative and complementary bill of rights. The actual time for the procedure is between thirty and forty-five minutes. After the first session, you will know what to expect and become more relaxed.
What effects will Colon Hydrotherapy have on my skin, allergies, etc…?
Our clients report that Colon Hydrotherapy has relieved and improved acne, allergies and asthma. They also tell us about increased energy and how calm they feel. Colon hydrotherapy is NOT A CURE, but a valuable procedure utilized for a wide variety of health symptoms. It may be recommended by your licensed physician. By re-toning and improving elimination, the bowel can become more efficient and timely with waste elimination and nutrient absorption, both of which are essential to good health. Colon Hydrotherapy can be the first step towards normalizing the bowel so that friendly bacteria can return to keep the colon safe from putrefaction and any further autointoxication.
Will it be okay to eat after having a colonic?
We suggest that you eat at your normal meal time, and consume a moderate amount of whatever seems gentle and nourishing to you. Just as it doesn’t make sense to have your car cleaned and then immediately drive it through mud, eating a meal known to cause trouble in your abdomen directly after a colonic isn’t an advised choice. Salads, vegetable soups or broths, fruit, or juices work well for most.
Will one colonic completely empty the colon?
No, many of us have a considerable amount of impacted feces in our colon. This is hardened, rubbery or wallpaper like material. Softening occurs through a series of treatments. The first few colonics will hydrate and soften some of the stagnant waste in the colon. Subsequent colonics will remove matter. How many you may wish to have will depend upon your personal objectives.
Will a colonic make me constipated or give me diarrhea?
The most frequent post-colonic experience is to have a slight delay in bowel movements and then a resumption of a somewhat larger, easier to move stool. Sometimes if the colon is weak and sluggish, there may be no bowel movement for several days following a colonic.
However this is not due to the colonic, but rather to the weakness of the colon, and should be interpreted as an indication that the colon requires strengthening and healing. Very infrequently diarrhea or loose bowels may be experienced. If this should occur, it is usually of very short duration. If it continues please see your licensed healthcare provider.
How will I know when the colon is empty?
It will never be completely empty, as it’s an organ in continuous use. As more of the old impacted material is released you will actually feel the water enter higher regions of the colon without any sense of obstruction. The objective should not be an empty colon, but rather a clean and well functioning colon.
Calhoun uses state-of-the-art colon hydrotherapy equipment that’s manufactured through compliance with strict FDA guidelines that dictate rigorous accountability. The FDA registered equipment features temperature controlled water mixing and back flow prevention valves, pressure and temperature sensors, and a built in chemical sanitizing unit and/or water purification unit. Disposable single-use rectal tubes are employed.
The following are absolute contraindications for colon hydrotherapy.
We will NOT perform colon hydrotherapy if you have ANY contraindications. At our discretion we may require a PRESCRIPTION from your licensed physician.
If they contraindication has subsided or been eliminated, colon therapy may be indicated with a PRESCRIPTION from YOUR licensed physician.
Contraindications for Colon Hydrotherapy:
- Severe cardiac disease; e.g. uncontrolled hypertension
- Congestive heart failure of organic valve disease
- Take Blood Thinners medication
- Severe anemia
- GI hemorrhage/perforation
- Severe Hemorrhoids
- Severe ulcerative colitis
- Advanced Crohn’s disease
- Abortion (less than 6 months)
- Miscarriage (less than 4 months post-op)
- Carcinoma of the colon or rectum
- Abdominal hernia / inguinal hernia
- Recent colon or sedum surgery (at least the 3 months post surgery)
- Recent abdominal surgery (at least the 3 months post surgery)
- Recent Colonoscopy (at least the 10 days post Colonoscopy)
- Renal insufficiency
- Advanced Crohn’s
- Tumor in the Rectum or Large Intestine
- Ulcerative colitis (active or bleeding)
- History of seizures
- Kidney Dialysis
- Advanced ileitis
Please extend the courtesy of calling to cancel at least 24 hours in advance. Appointments that are cancelled with less than 24 hours notice will be subject to a cancellation fee. All sales are final on products, testing and services.
Payment in full is due at the time services are rendered.